Editors' Choice Winner
"Best of New England" Award
South County RI,
Bed & Breakfast
Excellence Award - 2000
of the Week":
Pamela Lanier's Travel Guide Online -- August 1999
After 41 years of welcoming guests into my home, I am retiring and closing Woody Hill Bed and Breakfast as of September 22, 2014. I have not yet decided how to handle the hearth-cooking classes and special events.
I have had the pleasure of watching families grow up, making life-long friends, and learning about people, jobs, and good books which I would never have had the opportunity to do otherwise. Now it is time to turn my house back into my home, decide which bedroom will be mine, and go swimming during the breakfast hour if I so choose.
I want to thank all of you who have shared your lives with me over the years and please stay in touch.
Looking for the quintessential New England experience? Why not visit Woody Hill and
- savor the atmosphere of a home filled with American antiques
- sit by the colonial walk-in fireplace and try a hearth cooking class
- stroll among acres of woods, pasture and old-fashioned gardens
- luxuriate in the secluded in-ground pool
- schedule your wedding, family reunion or other milestone event in our country setting
Also in the area:
- wiggle your toes in the sand at our ocean beaches less than 2 miles away
- tour gilded-age mansions in nearby Newport or step aboard the last wooden whaling ship at Mystic Seaport Museum
- try your luck at Foxwood's casino and visit the Mashantucket Pequot history museum
A retired English teacher, Ellen L. Madison, Ph.D. now spends her time volunteering at a local history museum, traveling, gardening and catching up on her reading list.
She can also fill you in on local history -- her family dates back to the first white settlers in Westerly and she is the fourth generation to live on her family’s farm.
She is also the recent co-author of an award-winning book on the history of the Westerly granite industry; you'll find a copy for browsing in your room. You might discover your own home town
features a Westerly granite monument!
The house cat, Jennie, joins Ellen in welcoming you to Woody Hill.
149 South Woody Hill Road
Westerly, Rhode Island 02891
Home: (401) 322-0452
Cell: (401) 585-7332
Dr. Ellen L. Madison, Host